Florence Leather Market: Good leather tips

 When you visit Florence, there is one thing that you can not miss, it's 'Leather'. Florence is famous for leather goods. Maybe many of you already know. But, finding the real Florentine leather may not be easy. Before visiting Florence from Korea, I heard some tips from my friends, it was very helpful to choose good quality products.

 I visited Florence almost 9 years ago, I saw wonderful leather booties and jackets. However, I was very young and I don't know how to choice good quality leather, so I couldn't buy something. But now, I became adult and I know normal price of leather and what is good or not!




leather street vendor


There are two type of leather shop at Florence leather market. One is street vendor, and others are leather shop inside building. Actually, I was wondering street shop selling real leather or not. Because in Korea, when we visit traditional market place, most of street merchant sell fake leather and imitation of global brands (Chanel, Dior, Fendi and so on) at cheap price. Anyway, I looked around this market and found that there were many similar things. Still, it was difficult to find what was a good product.

But do you know that Gucci started at this market? That story is floating to my mind and I decided to visit leather shop in buildings.




Leather Shop


This private leather shop seems to has good quality of products, so me and my husband entered this place. The Florentine merchants' bargaining and selling skills are so excellent that it was hard for us to passed number of shops.



My Husband, measuring his waist

For men, Belt!
 Finally, my husband came to buy a belt at this shop. He tried to buy only one but it looks good quality so he bought two, and shop manager gave a discount! Yes, of course they are genuine leather belt. The manager said that his product is really good and feel very confident himself. We bought them, so it is better to believe it!






Florence Leather Bracelet
I bought a Florence leather bracelet because it was too hot weather to buy a leather jacket in the summer. Almost every product in the leather market looks classic style. We need to have a sense of what is really good among the various textures and colors of leather products.

Just remember these few questions.
- Leather goods?, but the price is too cheap?
- Is this leather from Florentine?
- Is this leather from another country?

My tips!
- Recent raw materials technology makes it difficult to distinguish between leather and synthetic leather.
- Smell, looking, or using litter fire is not a method of discriminating, it's useless.
- Leather is like skin, so you can feel it when you touch.
- The main feature of synthetic leather is stiffness.



emmeline.shin@gmail.com

Hope it helps!

Comments